Students » Selective Service Information - 18 year old males

Selective Service Information - 18 year old males

The Selective Service System
Office of Public and Intergovernmental Affairs National Headquarters
Arlington, Virginia 22209-2425     FAX 703-605-4106     E-mail:


Almost all male U.S. citizens, and males undocumented living in the U.S., who are 18 through 25, are required to register with Selective Service.  It’s important to know that even though he is registered, a man will not automatically be inducted into the military.  In a crisis requiring a draft, men would be called in sequence determined by random lottery number and year of birth. Then, they would be examined for mental, physical and moral fitness by the military before being deferred or exempted from military service or inducted into the Armed Forces.


Some non-citizens are required to register. Others are not. Non-citizens who are not required to register
with Selective Service include men who are in the U.S. on student or visitor visas, and men who are
part of a diplomatic or trade mission and their families. Almost all other male non-citizens are required
to register, including illegal aliens, legal permanent residents, and refugees. The general rule is that if a
male non-citizen takes up residency in the U.S. before his 26th birthday, he must register with Selective
The easiest and fastest way for a man to register is to register online. Or a man can fill out a registration form and send it to the Selective Service System. The form asks for the young man’s full name, 
address, date of birth, and Social Security Number (if he has one). On a form that is sent in, his 
signature is also required.
Young men may now register online with Selective Service:
Mr. Martin in room 6 can help you.
Selective Service “mail-back” registration forms are available at any U.S. Post Office. A man can fill 
it out, sign (leaving the space for his Social Security Number blank, if he has not yet obtained one*), 
affix postage, and mail it to Selective Service, without the involvement of the postal clerk. 
Another way a young man can register is to check a box on the application form for Federal Student 
Financial Aid (FAFSA form). A man can check “Register Me” on Box #22 of that form, and the 
Department of Education will furnish Selective Service with the information to register the man.
For more information: