The Los Angeles Unified School District has the primary responsibility to ensure compliance with applicable state and federal laws and regulations and shall investigate complaints alleging failure to comply with those laws and regulations, including but not limited to, allegations of unlawful discrimination, harassment, intimidation, or bullying against any protected group or noncompliance with laws relating to all programs and activities implemented by the District that are subject to the Uniform Complaint Procedures (UCP). The District shall seek to resolve those complaints of noncompliance pursuant to procedures in §§4600-4694 of Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations (CCR) and the District’s governing board policies and procedures under the UCP, including allegations of retaliation for participation in the UCP process and/or to appeal District decisions regarding such complaints.
The UCP may also be used to address complaints alleging retaliation against a complainant or other participant in the complaint process or anyone who has acted to uncover or report a violation subject to the regulations governing the UCP process. When an allegation that is not subject to the UCP is included in a UCP complaint, the Educational Equity Compliance Office will refer the non-UCP allegation to the appropriate staff or agency and shall work to resolve any UCP-related allegation(s) through the District's UCP process. UCP brochures are available at all school sites in the primary languages of that school community. Complainants are encouraged, where possible, to try to resolve their complaints directly at the school or work site or with their Local District.
Any individual, including a person’s duly authorized representative, public agency, or organization may file a written complaint alleging a matter which, if true, would constitute a violation by the District of federal or state laws or regulations governing the programs and activities as well as allegations of unlawful discrimination identified above. UCP complaints are to be submitted in writing to:
Los Angeles Unified School District
Educational Equity Compliance Office, 18th Floor
333 South Beaudry Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90017
Any complainant has the right to file a written complaint of unlawful discrimination, harassment, intimidation or bullying on the basis of a protected category within six months from the date the alleged incident occurred or the complainant first obtained knowledge/facts of the alleged incident. Otherwise, complaints shall be filed no later than one year from the date the alleged violation occurred. For LCAP, the date of the alleged violation is the date when the reviewing authority approves the LCAP or annual update that was adopted by the District.
The following links contain the brochures and forms related to compliance:
- Educational Equity Compliance: Educational Equity Compliance Office / Educational Equity Compliance Office (lausd.net)
- Nondiscrimination: Educational Equity Compliance Office / Nondiscrimination (lausd.net)
- Section 504 and Individuals with Disabilities: Educational Equity Compliance Office / Section 504 & Individuals with Disabilities (lausd.net)
- Title VI - Race, Color, & National Origin Nondiscrimination Statute: Educational Equity Compliance Office / Title VI (Race-Based Nondiscrimination) (lausd.net)
- Title IX - Sex Based Nondiscrimination Statute: Educational Equity Compliance Office / Title IX (Sex-Based Nondiscrimination) (lausd.net)
- Uniform Complaint Procedures (UCP): Educational Equity Compliance Office / UCP Complaints (lausd.net)
- Williams Complaint Procedures: Educational Equity Compliance Office / Williams and State Preschool Health and Safety Issues Complai (lausd.net)