Biology Essential Learnings
BIOLOGY ESSENTIAL LEARNINGS
- Investigation and Experimentation - Scientists create hypotheses based on observations and scientific questions and implement a variety of methods and tools to test their hypothesis. Proposed explanations for a wide variety of observations and experimental results lead to Scientific Theories.
- Biochemistry - Living organisms are characterized by biochemical processes that help to build structures (i.e. carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, and nucleic acids), and facilitate chemical reactions.
- Cell Biology - Chemical reactions inside the cell facilitate an organism’s life processes, the structure of cells, tissues and organs are thus designed to perform specialized functions within living organisms. Cells grow and develop through a cycle, which includes replication and division.
- DNA - The structure of DNA allows for protein synthesis and replication. DNA determines the expressed traits (phenotype) of an organism. Genetics - Members of a species (population) have similar characteristics yet unique differences, which are passed from generation to generation.
- Evolution - Random mutations cause good/bad changes in an organism’s DNA. The environment determines which mutations are helpful and give the organism a survival advantage
- Ecology - The Earth consists of a delicate balance between the biotic and abiotic, competition and cooperation, creation and destruction. Human impact to this web can have unpredictable and unforeseen results.
- Physiology - The different structures of organ systems function together to help living organisms survive, grow, reproduce, and maintain homeostasis.